Monday 8 August 2011

Thing 11 - Mentoring

I officially had a mentor when I completed my Certification and I found it extremely useful. Everyone else I talked to about Libraries at that point had mainly been colleagues that I work with so it was refreshing to get perspectives from someone 'outside' the organisation. I found there were many things that I took for granted and just assumed that was what everyone did so it was intereting to sehow other Libraries worked. With only ever workin in one Library setting I don't have much experience so having a mentor helped me see Libraries from other viewpoints.

I don't think I would have been able to complete Certification and learn about the process of reflective practice without my mentor. She was constantly reminding me of the need to be reflective rather than just descriptive as I tended to do. She was full of praise when I completed and made me feel like a worthy Library professional which is always good to make you feel more confident in what you are doing.

Unofficial mentors I have had along my journey have included mostly people who I have worked with. There was one special lady who helped me when I started in the Library and showed me the ropes. She had such a passion and enthusiasm for libraries and it really rubbed off on me. Sadly she died a couple of years ago after a battle with Cancer but I will never forget her.

There has also been my assessor for when I completed my NVQ. She was incredibly supportful and helpful and it was through her encouragement that I decided to join CILIP and have a go at Certification. Recently she has also provided a reference for me for the application foy my PostGraduate course and was as encouraging as ever.

I would like to think that one day I will have the opportunity to become a mentor and be able to support and encourage others in return. We do have a lot of work experience students so I do play an active role in telling them about Library work and showing them the ropes.

No comments:

Post a Comment