Wednesday 9 November 2011

Thing 22 - Voluntary work

I have never undertaken any type of voluntary work in the Library sector but I can see how it could be beneficial. I was lucky in that I did get a full time Library post without really trying. I also get a lot of support in the area of CPD and I am encouraged to go on visits to other Libraries to share best practice and experience.

I would find it extremely difficult to take part in voluntary work at this point in my life as I have a young daughter (18 months) so in order for me to work I have to pay for child care. If I wasn't getting any money in but having to pay out for this I would really struggle and it wouldn't work well! Before I had my family though and less responsibilities such as mortgage etc I would have considered voluntary work to get experience of a role before I decided that is what I wanted to do.

I was talking to a colleague today who was telling me that when her children were at primary school she helped out with the school Library as a voluntary post. I think that would be something really nice to do to help out in a school and you never know I might see if something like this is available when my little one is at school as I have no experience of a school Library.

On the negative side though I can see that people undertaking voluntary work might lead to unpaid posts being taken for granted and expected. You often hear stories of school libraries completely taken away or staffed by volunteers and I don't think that is the way forward. For a Library service to be efficient and forward moving I think it needs a Library professional in place who knows about Library services.

No comments:

Post a Comment