Friday 7 October 2011

Thing 17 after a bit of a delay

After an incredibly hectic September I am ready to continue with the 23 things. I have been rushed off my feet with inductions, user education groups, getting the LRC ready for the start of year and displays; not to mention the start of the PostGraduate course in ILM and a lovely bout of flu!

Prezi
I have to say I've never heard of Prezi before but anything as an alternative to PowerPoint has to be a good thing. PowerPoint just reminds of interviews where I have had to give presentations and now fills me with dread. I find my pages either look bland and boring or have that much going on that it looks like I have tried to use every feature just to prove I can. Looking at some of these presentations done in Prezi I have to say they look a lot more appealing. They look far more modern and more like a TV advert rather than just a load of text and the odd picture stuck on a page. I love the way all the pictures and thoughts are connected and you aren't scrolling through lots of pages as it's technically all the same page. It is quite a thought provoking way of showing something visually and one programme I would like to try using in the future. We ahve pretty much come to an end of our first year inductions for the year but I will certainly bear this is mind for next years!

Slideshare
I haven't had the need in the past to share slides. Any we use within the library are on a shared drive that we all have access to so the need for a sharing platform isn't there. I do like the idea of a visual CV though and can see how something visual is far more interesting than a load of statistics on a page. I can't see many companies or managers looking for something like this though for quite some time, if it ever does take off. I think a lot of places tend to stick to the tried and trusted methods of paper application forms or forms that are on the internet or the standard paper written CV. It ios something that might take off in the future though as technology becomes more and more at the forefront of everything. Who knows what the future could bring?

No comments:

Post a Comment