Wednesday 7 September 2011

Thing 15 - Attending, presenting & organising events, conferences and seminars

I haven't attended any actual conferences yet, the closest I have been is to the Library show a few years ago when I heard some very interesting talks on Twitter and the new Library of Birmingham. To be honest I have heard of different conferences but have never really made the time to look into what they are about or think of going to them. This is something I think I would like to address and maybe try and get to at least one a year. As we have such a regimented timetable it is sometimes difficult to get time off to attend things and as I don't drive distance can also be an issue.

Apart from presentations I have given at job interviews I have never really spoken to groups outside of the Library. I do get quite nervous as I am sure many people do, although I have been fine talking to groups at Library inductions.

I don't know what topics I would feel confident talking about. The College where I work has an LRC approach so that might be an interesting idea to be able to discuss what works and what doesn't by dividing a library across several rooms rather than a central main library.

No comments:

Post a Comment